EDGAR Filer Manual (Volumes I - III)
The current version of the EDGAR Filer Manual Volumes I - III can be downloaded from the links below.
EDGAR Filer Manual (Volume I) General Information (Version 24)
Updated: December 2015
Volume I, General Information, covers the EDGAR application process, outlines how to keep company data current and provides a brief introduction to the filing process. Volume I is intended to be a reference for those that need to obtain EDGAR access, those that are new to EDGAR and those that are responsible for keeping company information current.
Volume I was revised to support:
- Broker-dealers will now be able to submit Form X-17A-5 Part III in electronic format using the following submission form types:
- X-17A-5 (Annual Reports)
- X-17A-5/A (Amendment to Annual Reports)
- Pursuant to Regulation Crowdfunding, EDGAR will be updated to include the following new submission form types:
Issuers can access these submission form types from the "Regulation Crowdfunding" link on the EDGAR Filing Website. Additionally, issuers may construct XML submissions for these submission form types by following the "EDGAR Form C XML Technical Specification" document located on the SEC's Public Website (http://www.sec.gov/info/edgar.shtml).
- C: Offering Statement
- C-W: Offering Statement Withdrawal
- C-U: Progress Update
- C-U-W: Progress Update Withdrawal
- C/A: Amendment to Offering Statement
- C/A-W: Amendment to Offering Statement Withdrawal
- C-AR: Annual Report
- C-AR-W: Annual Report Withdrawal
- C-AR/A: Amendment to Annual Report
- C-AR/A-W: Amendment to Annual Report Withdrawal
- C-TR: Termination of Reporting
- C-TR-W: Termination of Reporting Withdrawal
- In connection with amendments to the rules governing money market mutual funds (or "money market funds") under the Investment Company Act of 1940, the following changes will be made:
- EDGAR will be updated to include two new submission types - N-MFP1 and N-MFP1/A - to incorporate the amendments to Form N-MFP adopted by the Commission on July 23, 2014.
- These two new submission types will be accepted from the EDGAR Filing Website via filer-constructed XML submissions, as described in the Form N-MFP1 XML Technical Specification available on the SEC's Public Website (http://www.sec.gov/info/edgar.shtml).
- EDGAR will only accept TEST submissions for submission form types N-MFP1 and N-MFP1/A until April 14, 2016.
- Beginning April 14, 2016 submission form types N-MFP1 and N-MFP1/A will be accepted as LIVE submissions.
- Filers will be prevented from submitting existing submission form type N-MFP beginning April 14, 2016.
- EDGAR will be updated to automatically disseminate money market fund information upon acceptance of the N-MFP1 and N-MFP1/A submissions.
- EDGAR will be updated to disseminate raw and rendered XBRL documents. The rendered XBRL documents will be displayed as human-readable documents.
- EDGAR will be updated to accept negative values for the following fields in Item 1 of submission form types 1-A, 1-A/A, 1-A POS, DOS, and DOS/A:
- Total Assets
- Total Stockholders' Equity
- Total Liabilities and Equity
On January 25, 2016, EDGAR Release 16.0.1 will introduce the following changes:
- Filers will now be able to select the new "Funding Portal" Applicant Type when completing the process to apply for EDGAR access (New) on the EDGAR Filer Management Website.
- Pursuant to the Regulation Crowdfunding rule, Funding Portals will be able to register with the Commission, amend their registration and withdraw from their registration, using the following new submission form types:
These submission form types can be accessed by clicking the "Regulation Crowdfunding" link on the EDGAR Filing Website. Additionally, filers may construct XML submissions for CFPORTAL, CFPORTAL/A, and CFPORTAL-W by following the "EDGAR Form CFPORTAL XML Technical Specification" document located on SEC's Public Website (http://www.sec.gov/info/edgar.shtml).
- CFPORTAL - Form Funding Portal: Initial application of funding portal
- CFPORTAL/A - Form Funding Portal/A: Amendment to registration, including a successor registration
- CFPORTAL-W - Form Funding Portal-W: Withdrawal of the funding portal's registration
EDGAR Filer Manual (Volume II) EDGAR Filing (Version 37)
Updated: June 2016
This EDGAR Filer Manual (Volume II), EDGAR Filing, focuses entirely on the filing process. It illustrates each step of the process to submit an electronic submission and helps filers understand the tools provided by the SEC for constructing and transmitting those submissions. This volume is intended to be a reference for those that are responsible for submitting filings to the SEC via the EDGAR system.
On June 13, 2016, EDGAR Release 16.2 will introduce the following changes:
- EDGAR will be updated to allow registrants whose Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code is not 6189 (asset-backed securities) to file the following asset-backed securities related submission form types:
- SF-1, SF-1/A, SF-3, SF-3/A, SF-3MEF, 424H, 424H/A, ABS-EE, ABS-EE/A, 8-K, 8-K/A, 10-D, and 10-D/A.
- Sponsor CIK
- Depositor CIK
- ABS Asset Class
The following fields will now be required for all filers submitting form types 10-D and 10-D/A and providing Item 6 or attaching an EX-36 on submission form types 8-K and 8-K/A, irrespective of the filer’s SIC code:
- EDGAR will no longer provide support for the US-GAAP-2014, EXCH-2014, COUNTRY-2012, and CURRENCY-2012 taxonomies. Please see http://www.sec.gov/info/edgar/edgartaxonomies.shtml for a complete listing of supported standard taxonomies.
- Pursuant to a Commission exemptive order issued on June 13, 2016, certain filers will be able to use Inline XBRL in their Related Official Filing for a limited period of time until March of the year 2020, provided that the structured information satisfies all other submission requirements and the conditions specified in the order are met. Inline XBRL is a file format permitting both HTML and Interactive Data tags. Instructions for formatting and attaching Inline XBRL documents to EDGAR submissions are described in a new subsection 5.2.5 of EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II.
EDGAR Filer Manual (Volume III) N-SAR Supplement (Version 5)
Effective Date: September 2014
EDGAR Filer Manual (Volume III), N-SAR Supplement, is the guide for preparing the electronic submission of Form N-SAR.
Volume III was revised to support the following changes to EDGAR:
- Formatting changes were made to “EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume III:N-SAR Supplement” for compliance with Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act. Note: The procedure for filing Form N-SAR, the Semi-Annual Report for Registered Investment Companies has not changed.