EDGAR Release 21.1
March 15, 2021
On March 22, 2021, EDGAR Release 21.1 will introduce the following changes:
- In accordance with Release 33-10884, submission form types C, C/A, C-U, C-AR, C-AR/A, and C-TR will be updated to include co-issuer fields. Filers can specify the co-issuer name, legal status, and address if the co-issuer is not an EDGAR filer but associated with the C, C/A, C-U, C-AR C-AR/A, and C-TR filing. Alternatively, if the co-issuer is an EDGAR filer the system will pre-populate this information based on the CIK provided. See Chapter 8 (Preparing And Transmitting Online Submissions) of the EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: “EDGAR Filing.”
The “EDGAR Form C XML Technical Specification” document will be updated and available on sec.gov (https://www.sec.gov/edgar/filer-information/current-edgar-technical-specifications).
- EDGAR will be updated to allow file numbers with a 024-prefix on submission form types F-X and F-X/A. These form types will continue to accept file numbers with a 333-, 033-, 002-, 005-, 000-, and 001-prefix.
- Filer-constructed submissions for 10-K, 10-K/A, 10-KT, 10-KT/A, 10-Q, 10-Q/A, 10-QT, 10-QT/A, 10-12B, 10-12B/A, 10-12G, 10-12G/A, 20-F, 20-F/A, S-1, S-1/A, S-3, S-3/A, S-4, S-4/A, S-11, and S-11/A will be validated to ensure that the following header tag values are provided in the submission. For any of the following missing header tag values, EDGAR will generate an error message and suspend the filing:
For more information, see the updated “EDGARLink Online XML Technical Specification” document available on sec.gov (https://www.sec.gov/info/edgar/tech-specs).
- EDGAR will be updated to support the US-GAAP 2021 Taxonomy and SEC Reporting 2021 Taxonomy published by FASB.
Additionally, EDGAR will be updated to support the following taxonomies published by SEC: COUNTRY, CURRENCY, DEI, EXCH, RR, SIC, NAICS, and STPR 2021. Please see https://www.sec.gov/info/edgar/edgartaxonomies.shtml for a complete list of supported standard taxonomies.
- To simplify the preparation of XBRL submissions and reduce the number of separate file attachments, the content of section 6.7.8 of Volume II of the Filer Manual has been deleted and marked as “Reserved.” Relatedly, updates have been made to section 6.9 of Volume II of the Filer Manual. See Chapter 6 (Interactive Data) of the EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: “EDGAR Filing.”
- EDGAR will support new data quality-enhancing checks included by FASB in the US-GAAP 2021 taxonomy. Its DQC Rules Taxonomy (DQCRT) was developed through public review in collaboration with market participants via the XBRL US Data Quality Committee (DQC). EDGAR will inform filers of certain quality defects via warning messages, in much the same way that EDGAR informs filers of inconsistencies between the submission header and the content of cover pages. Examples of incorrect use are when filers use a negative value to tag accounts payable or compensation expense, use non-standard values for sets of terms already stipulated in the taxonomy such as the three levels of the fair value hierarchy, and tag amounts as total liabilities that do not equal the sum of amounts tagged as current liabilities and noncurrent liabilities.
The Filer Manual is also being revised to address software changes made previously in EDGAR. On February 18, 2021, EDGAR Release 21.0.2 introduced the following changes:
- Submission form types NPORT-P, NPORT-P/A, NPORT-NP, and NPORT-NP/A were updated as follows:
- The maximum count of Identifiers in the XML schema was reduced from 100,000 to 100.
- Extended the maximum Maturity Date, Expiration Date, Settlement Date, and Termination Date past the former limit of 2500-12-31.
For more information, see the updated “EDGAR Form N-PORT XML Technical Specification” document available on sec.gov (https://www.sec.gov/info/edgar/tech-specs).
On January 11, 2021, EDGAR Release 21.0.1 introduced the following changes:
- Submission form types N-MFP2 and N-MFP2/A were updated to allow filers to:
- Provide negative values for Item A.16.
- Select “Exempt Government” and “Government/Agency” as the category of the fund in Item A.10 of the form.
EDGAR will continue to allow filers to choose “Exempt Government” and “Treasury” as the category of the fund in Item A.10 of the form. See Appendix A (Messages Reported by EDGAR) of the EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: “EDGAR Filing.”
For more information, see the updated “EDGAR Form N-MFP2 XML Technical Specification” document available on sec.gov (https://www.sec.gov/edgar/filer-information/current-edgar-technical-specifications).
- Filer-constructed N-CEN and N-CEN/A submissions were updated to validate the CIK provided in the “Filer Information” section of the header matches with the CIK listed in the “Information about the Registrant” section. See Appendix A (Messages Reported by EDGAR) of the EDGAR Filer Manual, Volume II: “EDGAR Filing.”
If you have any questions, please contact Filer Support at (202) 551-8900 (Option 3).