Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues to Meet on May 24
Professor Joseph Stiglitz Named to Joint Committee
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Washington, D.C., May 17, 2010 — The Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) today announced that the first meeting of the Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues will be held on Monday, May 24.
The Joint Committee will discuss the preliminary findings of the staffs of the CFTC and SEC related to the unusual market events of May 6.
The CFTC and SEC also announced today that Nobel Laureate and Columbia Business School Professor Joseph Stiglitz will be a member of the Joint Committee.
SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro and CFTC Chairman Gary Gensler are the co-chairs of the Joint Committee. Other members of the Joint Committee named last week:
- Brooksley Born — Former Chair of the CFTC
- Jack Brennan — Former Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Vanguard
- Robert Engle — Michael Armellino Professor of Finance at the NYU Stern School of Business
- Richard Ketchum — Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, FINRA
- Maureen O'Hara — Professor of Management, Professor of Finance, Cornell University
- Susan Phillips — Dean and Professor of Finance, The George Washington University School of Business
- David Ruder — William W. Gurley Memorial Professor of Law Emeritus, Northwestern University School of Law; Former Chair of the SEC
Monday's meeting will be webcast live on the Internet at www.sec.gov.
# # #