Statutes and Regulations
The Whistleblower Program was created by Congress on July 21, 2010 in Section 922 of the Dodd-Frank Act.
The SEC implemented the program by issuing Final Rules on May 25, 2011. These Final Rules are effective as of August 12, 2011.
Remarks on the Final Rules on May 25, 2011
Reports and Studies
Other Whistleblower Programs
If you have information about violations related to commodities, futures, or similar products, including all violations of the Commodity Exchange Act, please refer to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s whistleblower program.
If your information also implicates United States tax laws, you may want to learn more about the IRS Whistleblower Program.
The Department of Justice enforces the False Claims Act, another major whistleblower law.
Finding an Attorney
While the SEC cannot recommend an attorney, we can provide resources from our Fast Answer database.
How the SEC Investigates Cases
If you would like guidance on considerations the SEC uses when analyzing allegations of fraud and determining which cases to pursue, please see the SEC’s Division of Enforcement Manual.
Previous News and Releases
- Speech by Andrew Ceresney: "The SEC's Whistleblower Program: The Successful Early Years" (09/14/2016)
- SEC Whistleblower Program Surpasses $100 Million in Awards (08/30/2016)
- $22 Million Whistleblower Award for Company Insider Who Helped Uncover Fraud (08/30/2016)
- Sean McKessy, Chief of Whistleblower Office, to Leave SEC (07/8/2016)
- SEC Issues $17 Million Whistleblower Award (06/9/2016)
- Two Individuals Share Whistleblower Award of More Than $450,000(05/20/2016)
- SEC Awards More Than $5 Million to Whistleblower(05/17/2016)
- Whistleblower Earns $3.5 Million Award for Bolstering Ongoing Investigation(05/13/2016)
- SEC Awarding Nearly $2 Million to Three Whistleblowers (March 8, 2016)
- SEC Amicus Brief in Verble v. Morgan Stanley (Feb. 04, 2016)
- SEC Awards Whistleblower More Than $700,000 for Detailed Analysis (Jan. 15, 2016)
- 2015 Annual Report on the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Program (Nov. 16, 2015)
- SEC Announces Whistleblower Award of More Than $325,000 (Nov. 4, 2015)
- Berman v. Neo@Ogilvy LLC (Sept. 10, 2015)
- Interpretation of the SEC’s Whistleblower Rules Under Section 21F of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (Aug. 4, 2015)
- SEC Pays More Than $3 Million to Whistleblower (July 17, 2015)
- "The SEC as the Whistleblower's Advocate" by Chair White (April 30, 2015)
- SEC Announces Award to Whistleblower in First Retaliation Case (April 28, 2015)
- SEC Announces Million-Dollar Whistleblower Award to Compliance Officer (April 22, 2015)
- SEC: Companies Cannot Stifle Whistleblowers in Confidentiality Agreements (April 1, 2015)
- Former Company Officer Earns Half-Million Dollar Whistleblower Award for Reporting Fraud Case to SEC (March 2, 2015)
- SEC Announces Largest-Ever Whistleblower Award (Sept. 22, 2014)
- SEC Announces $300,000 Whistleblower Award to Audit and Compliance Professional Who Reported Company's Wrongdoing (Aug. 29, 2014)
- SEC Announces Award for Whistleblower Who Reported Fraud to SEC After Company Failed to Address Issue Internally (July 31, 2014)
- SEC Charges Hedge Fund Adviser With Conducting Conflicted Transactions and Retaliating Against Whistleblower (June 16, 2014)
- SEC Awards $875,000 to Two Whistleblowers Who Aided Agency Investigation (June 3, 2014)
- SEC Announces Additional $150,000 Payment to Recipient of First Whistleblower Award (April 4, 2014)
- Statement on Court Filing by SEC to Protect Whistleblowers From Retaliation (Feb. 20, 2014)
- SEC Rewards Whistleblower With $150,000 Payout (Oct. 30, 2013)
- SEC Awards More Than $14 Million to Whistleblower (Oct. 1, 2013)
- SEC Rewards Three Whistleblowers Who Helped Stop Sham Hedge Fund (Aug. 30, 2013)
- SEC Receives More Than 3,000 Whistleblower Tips in FY2012 (Nov. 15, 2012)
- SEC Issues First Whistleblower Program Award (Aug. 21, 2012)
- SEC Names Jane Norberg as Deputy Chief of Whistleblower Office (Jan. 17, 2012)
- Sean McKessy Named Head of Whistleblower Office (Feb. 18, 2011)