SEC’S Miami Regional Office Supports Department of Justice Media Campaign to Prevent and Report Elder Abuse in Puerto Rico
April 23, 2019
Miami, FL., April 23, 2019 — The Miami Regional Office of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)has joined efforts with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Puerto Ricoto educate the public on the prevention and reporting of elder abuse.
The public service campaign, Abuse can NOT be ignored. Indifference is abuse,seeks to raise awareness about the abuse of the elderly and encourages the public to provide confidential information to law enforcement authorities. Cases of abuse or suspected abuse may be reported to a Puerto Rico Department of Family Affairs hotline at 787-749-1333.
Seniors are often the target of financial elder abuse. The abuse can take many forms and is tough to combat, in part because it often goes unreported. The form of financial abuse can take place over the phone, internet, or email and may involve even perpetrators who are friends or family members of the victim.
“Awareness and education about the different types of securities fraud and how to fight back can go a long way toward effective senior fraud prevention,” said Eric I. Bustillo, Director of the SEC's Miami Regional Office.
The SEC provides a variety of resources relating to seniors, including investment information, how to help avoid fraud, and latest scams being perpetrated on older adults at www.Investor.gov. Elder fraud complaints may be filed with the SEC at www.sec.gov/tcr.
Residents of Puerto Rico are encouraged to reach out directly to the SEC’s Miami Regional Office staff about the campaign or other investing by phone at 305-982-6300 or email at Miami@sec.gov.
- A Guide for Seniors: Protect Yourself Against Investment Fraud
- GuíaPara Personas Mayores:ProtéjaseContra El Fraude En Inversiones
- Ask Questions – Questions You Should Ask About Your Investments
- Pregunte – Preguntas Importantes QueDeberíaHacer Antes De Invertir
- Stopping Affinity Fraud in Your Community
- CómoDetener El Fraude DeAfinidad EnSu Comunidad
- Saving and Investing - A Roadmap To Your Financial Security Through Saving and Investing
- Ahorros e Inversiones - Un Mapa Para Iniciarlo En El Camino De La Seguridad Financiera A Través Del Ahorro Y La Inversión