Mission of the SEC Office of Inspector General
The mission of the Office of Inspector General is to promote the integrity, efficiency, and effectiveness of the critical programs and operations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. This mission is best achieved by having an effective, vigorous and independent office of seasoned and talented professionals who perform the following functions:
- Conducting independent and objective audits, evaluations, inspections, investigations, and other reviews of Commission programs and operations;
- Preventing and detecting fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement in Commission programs and operations;
- Identifying vulnerabilities in Commission systems and operations and recommending constructive solutions;
- Offering expert assistance to improve Commission programs and operations;
- Communicating timely and useful information that facilitates management decision-making and the achievement of measurable gains; and
- Keeping the Commission and the Congress fully and currently informed of significant issues and developments.