Celebrating Public Service Recognition Week
April 28, 2016
Did you know:
- In FY15, the SEC filed more than 800 enforcement actions and obtained orders totaling more than $4 billion.
- In FY15, the SEC conducted 27 trials and hearings; undefeated in district court and saw strong success in APs.
- In 2015, the SEC’s Investment Management Division reviewed more than 4,000 filings including 2,800 new funds and products.
- Investment Management published its first-ever guidance for asset managers on cybersecurity.
- In 2015, based on collaborative work by the Division of Investment Management, Division of Economic and Risk Analysis and Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations, the SEC proposed a rule to modernize data reporting for investment companies.
- In 2015, data analysis drove comprehensive rule proposals to enhance risk management of mutual fund liquidity and use of derivatives.
- Division of Economic and Risk Analysis economists write data-driven analysis on vital market issues, including novel insights into fund practices.
- The Office of Credit Ratings completed the fifth annual NRSRO Exam Report and the eighth Annual Report to Congress on NRSROs.
- The Office of Financial Management’s Filing Fees Branch is developing a series of innovative tools to help registrants avoid submitting forms with errors.
- To date in FY16, the SEC’s Ombudsman has fielded more than 500 contacts from retail investors and other persons on a wide range of matters.
- The Offices of the Secretary and Public Affairs built a web tool that increases transparency of the Commission’s rulemakings.
- The Denver Regional Office’s Tele-Town Hall, conducted jointly with AARP, reached nearly 10,000 seniors across Nebraska.
- In the past year, the Los Angeles Regional Office started 182 exams, closed 157 with $3.7 million in investor recoveries.
- The Division of Enforcement, Office of Information Technology, and Office of Compliance Inspections and Exminations successfully launched a Microcap Fraud Awareness Campaign. Investor protection ads have been displayed more than a million times in response to Google searches.
- The Office of Information Technology is making major progress in Big Data Management and Cloud Strategy, expediting innovation and expanding analytical capacity.
- Whether shepherding new professional standards or resolving the most difficult practice issues, the Office of the Chief Accountant promotes reliable financial reporting for investors.
- The National Exam Program’s FY15 examinations resulted in the return of roughly $120 million to investors.
- In FY15, the National Exam Program held 129 outreach and educational events, including Compliance Outreach and sessions with never before examined advisers.
- The Office of Municipal Securities implemented the SEC’s municipal advisor registration rules and approved the MSRB’s core municipal advisor regulatory framework to improve the protection of municipalities and investors in municipal securities.
- The Chicago Regional Office in conjunction with the Division of Enforcement’s Pyramid Scheme Task Force, organized an Affinity Fraud Symposium to educate investors on potential pyramid and affinity fraud schemes and on how regulators and law enforcement combat them.
- The Salt Lake Regional Office and the Division of Enforcement’s Pyramid Scheme Task Force hosted a symposium for regulators and law enforcement to discuss strategies for investigating and litigating pyramid and Ponzi scheme cases. The event included more than 40 federal and state law enforcement and regulatory agencies from the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
- In the past year, the Division of Corporation Finance reviewed the annual reports of more than 4,400 reporting companies and the initial registration statements of more than 700 new issuers.
Modified: Jan. 5, 2021