The SEC’s Enforcement Division’s Retail Strategy Task Force (RSTF) presents Building Financial and Personal Independence: a panel event in recognition of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
In collaboration with the National Network to End Domestic Violence, Futures Without Violence and other federal agencies, the RSTF will explore the central role that financial abuse often plays in domestic violence and abuse, and how strategies for financial independence may facilitate personal independence.
Subject matter experts will share how abusers use various methods of control and manipulation, including financial abuse, to perpetuate a cycle of violence or intimidation to isolate and disempower their targets. The panelists will also provide strategies for individuals to rebuild their financial and personal independence, and highlight ways in which workplaces may implement supportive policies and provide resources.
The panel is geared toward anyone who may be experiencing abuse and seeking assistance, but also toward friends, family, co-workers and supervisors who may be able to recognize red flags and suggest resources in support of someone seeking assistance. The panel will be followed by a resource open house in which various service providers will be available to provide literature and answer questions.
Panel Focus Areas:
• Understanding the connections between financial abuse, domestic violence and fraud, and recognizing red flags of financial abuse;
• Define domestic violence and describe the dynamics of power and control;
• Describe how workplaces can create a culture of safety and support for those experiencing violence;
• Recognize potential indicators of financial abuse and use available remedies to support clients; and,
• Identify SEC resources and local programs and services for survivors.
- Date: October 22, 2019
Time: 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Panel Discussion: 10:30 a.m. to Noon, Resource Open House: Noon to 1 p.m.
Location: U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
100 F Street NE, Washington, DC
Live webcast will be available on SEC.gov
ASL interpreter will be available during the event
* Questions? Please contact Mika Donlon: email@example.com.
Modified: Oct. 16, 2019