EDGAR Filer Manual v. 8.4
New Version: October 7, 2002
The EDGAR Filer Manual contains instructions for creating and submitting electronic disclosure filings to the SEC's Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval (EDGAR) system. The manual is also useful for anyone who works extensively with the disseminated EDGAR filings that can be accessed elsewhere on this site.
Instructions for Using the Files in Windows
Download the fm84.exe executable file (a self-extracting zip file) by selecting the download link below and save the file to your local hard drive. Run the file by (1) using the Start menu Run option in MS Windows 95/98/NT/2000 or by (2) double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer.
- Open the directory where you downloaded the executable file (fm84.exe).
- Using the Run window: Browse to select the file and click the OK button.
- Using Windows Explorer: Browse to the appropriate folder and double-click the file.
- The WinZip Self-Extractor window will appear. The "Unzip to folder:" field contains the directory on your hard drive where the files will be extracted (unzipped). The default setting is the c:\EDGAR_Doc\Fm directory. If you do not have this directory, WinZip will automatically create it.
NOTE: For the Master Document to work correctly, you must access the manual from the default directory listed above.
- Once you have unzipped the files, you must use MS Word to open the files from this directory.
The Filer Manual has been split into chapters and appendices (for example, ch1=Chapter 1 or Apxa=Appendix A).
The file named Filerman.doc is a master document and contains the table of contents and index for the Filer Manual.
If you use MS Word 97 or higher you will see a series of hyperlinks (in blue) that point to the c:\EDGAR_Doc\Fm directory. To view the Filer Manual in its entirety you need to expand the subdocuments in the Master Document view:
- Click on the View menu.
- Click on the Master Document option.
- When the Master Document view appears, click on the Expand Subdocuments icon in the Master Document tool bar.
If you do not expand all the subdocuments, and you click on the document's hyperlink (in blue), the document will appear with incorrect heading and page numbering.
If you use MS Word 2000, the Master Document view has been changed to the Outline View.
- You can open this view by using the View menu Outline View option.
- Click on the Expand Subdocuments icon in the tool bar.
In MS Word 2000, the page numbering and automatic fields may appear invalid until you refresh the automatic fields by viewing the document in Page Layout, or print-previewing the document.
Download the Rel. 8.4 Filer Manual now
(ZIP archive size: approx. 3 MB)
About the N-SAR Manual
Procedures for filing the Form N-SAR, the Semi-Annual Report for Registered Investment Companies, have not changed. However, the N-SAR Manual has been updated to coincide with the requirements of modernized EDGAR. The updated manual (N-SAR Manual Vol II) can be downloaded by selecting the link below.
The methods for downloading, decompressing, and using the N-SAR Manual are almost identical to those for the general Filer Manual (above). The principal differences have to do with the names of the files and directories. For example, the directory that the program will create to hold the components of the manual is c:\EDGAR_Doc\nsar. The self-extracting executable for the N-SAR Manual is nsar.exe.
Download the N-SAR Manual ("Vol. II of the Filer Manual") now
(ZIP archive size: approx. 89 KB)