Skip to main content

401(k) Questions and Complaints

Oct. 4, 2012

The Securities and Exchange Commission does not regulate or oversee retirement plans, such as pensions or 401(k) plans. If you have a question about your retirement plan, please contact:

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Room N5623
Washington, D.C. 20210
Toll-Free: 1-866-444-EBSA (3272)
Phone: (202) 693-8664

If you have a complaint about your plan, you can learn the procedures for filing a claim on the EBSA's website

You can find information about pensions from the EBSA's home page. You can also learn how fees and expenses affect the total return you will receive for retirement from your 401(k) plan.

The Office of Investor Education and Advocacy has provided this information as a service to investors.  It is neither a legal interpretation nor a statement of SEC policy.  If you have questions concerning the meaning or application of a particular law or rule, please consult with an attorney who specializes in securities law.

Return to Top