SEC Form 3
FORM 3 UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549

INITIAL STATEMENT OF BENEFICIAL OWNERSHIP OF SECURITIES

Filed pursuant to Section 16(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
or Section 30(h) of the Investment Company Act of 1940
OMB APPROVAL
OMB Number: 3235-0104
Expires: December 31, 2014
Estimated average burden
hours per response: 0.5
1. Name and Address of Reporting Person*
Moreland Darl

(Last) (First) (Middle)
ALEXZA PHARMACEUTICALS, INC.
2091 STIERLIN COURT

(Street)
MOUNTAIN VIEW CA 94043

(City) (State) (Zip)
2. Date of Event Requiring Statement (Month/Day/Year)
07/26/2012
3. Issuer Name and Ticker or Trading Symbol
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc. [ ALXA ]
4. Relationship of Reporting Person(s) to Issuer
(Check all applicable)
Director 10% Owner
X Officer (give title below) Other (specify below)
SVP, Quality
5. If Amendment, Date of Original Filed (Month/Day/Year)
6. Individual or Joint/Group Filing (Check Applicable Line)
X Form filed by One Reporting Person
Form filed by More than One Reporting Person
Table I - Non-Derivative Securities Beneficially Owned
1. Title of Security (Instr. 4) 2. Amount of Securities Beneficially Owned (Instr. 4) 3. Ownership Form: Direct (D) or Indirect (I) (Instr. 5) 4. Nature of Indirect Beneficial Ownership (Instr. 5)
Common Stock 11,908 (1) D
Table II - Derivative Securities Beneficially Owned
(e.g., puts, calls, warrants, options, convertible securities)
1. Title of Derivative Security (Instr. 4) 2. Date Exercisable and Expiration Date (Month/Day/Year) 3. Title and Amount of Securities Underlying Derivative Security (Instr. 4) 4. Conversion or Exercise Price of Derivative Security 5. Ownership Form: Direct (D) or Indirect (I) (Instr. 5) 6. Nature of Indirect Beneficial Ownership (Instr. 5)
Date Exercisable Expiration Date Title Amount or Number of Shares
Stock Option (right to buy) 08/09/2011 (2) 08/09/2020 Common Stock 8,000 25.6 D
Stock Option (right to buy) 07/28/2012 (3) 07/28/2021 Common Stock 11,000 15.3 D
Stock Option (right to buy) 07/26/2013 (2) 07/26/2022 Common Stock 10,000 3.47 D
Stock Option (right to buy) 07/26/2013 (2) 07/26/2022 Common Stock 25,000 3.47 D
Explanation of Responses:
1. Includes 10,000 shares issued as restricted stock units (the 'RSU') under the Issuer's 2005 Equity Incentive Plan (the 'Plan'). The RSUs will vest in full on August 24, 2012, provided that the Reporting Person's continuous service to the Issuer has not been terminated as defined in or as determined under the Plan prior to such time.
2. Grant to the Reporting Person of a stock option under the Plan. The option vests over a four-year period, with 25% of such option vesting on the one-year anniversary of the date of grant and the remaining 75% of such option vesting in equal monthly installments over the next 36 months, provided that at the relevant vesting dates the Reporting Person's continuous service to the Issuer has not been terminated as defined in or as determined under the Plan. The option expires ten years after the date of grant.
3. Grant to the Reporting Person of a stock option under the Plan. 50% of the shares subject to the option vest on the one-year anniversary of the date of grant, the remaining 50% of such option vesting in equal monthly installments over the next 12 months, provided that at the relevant vesting date the Reporting Person's continuous service to the Issuer has not been terminated as defined in or as determined under the Plan. The option expires ten years after the date of grant.
/s/ Darl Moreland 07/30/2012
** Signature of Reporting Person Date
Reminder: Report on a separate line for each class of securities beneficially owned directly or indirectly.
* If the form is filed by more than one reporting person, see Instruction 5 (b)(v).
** Intentional misstatements or omissions of facts constitute Federal Criminal Violations See 18 U.S.C. 1001 and 15 U.S.C. 78ff(a).
Note: File three copies of this Form, one of which must be manually signed. If space is insufficient, see Instruction 6 for procedure.
Persons who respond to the collection of information contained in this form are not required to respond unless the form displays a currently valid OMB Number.